When all you want is a material (such as brick, tile, or grass); importing a whole component from the 3D Warehouse into your model can bloat the file with content you neither want nor need.
Fortunately, you can download only the material.
To find and download a component's material directly in 3D Warehouse, follow these steps:
- Find the model whose material you want to download.
- Open the details page for that model, by clicking on the model.
- This will open up the stats panel. Click the Materials link.
- You then see a list of the materials along with a bit of info about each one, as shown in the next image
- When you find the material you want to use, click the Download link.
- If you accessed 3D Warehouse from within SketchUp 2017, SketchUp then retrieves the material from 3D Warehouse and activates the Paint Bucket tool with the material loaded and ready to go. Click on the surface that you want to apply the material to, and, you're done!
- If you accessed 3D Warehouse through a web browser, the SKM file for that material downloads. You can then add the SKM file to your local SketchUp content folders.
To see the Materials feature in action, check out the following video